In the above mentioned tutorial, we told you about a system file “systemcpl.dll” which contains the code of System Properties UI. windows 7 tips and tweaks, You can edit the code and change or remove desired items in Windows 7 System Properties.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to change or remove Windows logo from System Properties in Windows 7. Windows logo in System Properties is shown at the right-side of window in “Windows edition” section as shown in following image:
If you want to change the logo or remove the logo, this tutorial will help you.
You can customize or remove Windows logo in System Properties using following 2 methods:
METHOD 1: By editing shellbrd.dll file
METHOD 2: By editing systemcpl.dll file
First method will allow you to remove as well as change Windows logo but the second method will only allow you to remove Windows logo from System Properties.
We have tested these methods in Windows 7 but they should also work in Windows Vista and Windows 8.
METHOD 1: By Editing Shellbrd.dll File
“shellbrd.dll” file contains the Windows logo image which is shown in System Properties window. This file is present in “%windir%\Branding\ShellBrd” folder. Here %windir% represents “Windows” directory which can be found in the system drive where Windows is installed. In most of the cases its C:\Windows.
1. First copy shellbrd.dll file from “ShellBrd” folder to some other location for example Desktop.
2. Now open the new file in Resource Hacker.
3. The Windows logo is stored in the file as a 32-bit BITMAP image in following locations:
Bitmap -> 1050, 2050 and 3050
4. If you want to replace the Windows logo with your own desired logo, replace the above mentioned 3 bitmaps with your desired 32-bit BMP file.
If you want to remove Windows logo, simply delete the above mentioned 3 keys by right-click on the key and select “Delete Resource” option.
PS: If you don’t know how to replace or remove resources in a file, check our exclusive Resource Hacker tutorial to learn more.
5. That’s it. Save the file and replace original file with it as mentioned in Step 7 of this tutorial.
METHOD 2: By Editing Systemcpl.dll File
You can also remove Windows logo from Windows 7 System Properties window by editing systemcpl.dll file and removing the code.
1. First open systemcpl.dll file in Resource Hacker and go to UIFILE -> 1001 key as mentioned in steps 1 and 2 of following tutorial:
Ultimate Guide for Customizing Windows 7 System Properties
2. To remove Windows logo, you just need to delete line number 133 containing following code:
windows 7 home product key
Or you can replace layoutpos=”right” with layoutpos=”none” in the above mentioned line to hide the logo.
3. That’s it. Click on “Compile Script” button and save the file.
4. Now replace original file with your new file using the step 7 of this tutorial.
That’s it. You’ll not need to restart or log off. Just open System Properties and get ready to see the desired changes.